KNOW THE FACTS
Suicide touches everyone – all ages and incomes; all racial, ethnic, and religious groups; and in all parts of the country. It is also the 3rd leading cause of death among teenagers (CDC, 2010).
Here are the facts to know about suicide:
- 19.8% of Indiana high school students have seriously considered attempting suicide.
- Indiana ranks 3rd out of 36 states in the percentage of high school students who seriously considered attempting suicide, and the state ranks 3rd out of 34 states in the percentage of students who made a suicide plan.
- 1 in 10 youth in Indiana have attempted suicide.
- 30.8% of Indiana high school students report feeling sad or hopeless in the past year.
- Males are 4 times more likely to die by suicide than females.
- Males most commonly use guns and other firearms
- Females are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide than males.
- Females are most likely to use poison
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for youth 10-14
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for youth 15-24
Call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline
If a student is experiencing a mental health crisis or medical emergency, call toll-free at 800.273.8255. You’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7.
Not sure what to do or who to talk to? Refer to your school's suicide policy.
Text "HELPNOW" to 20121
Connect with a trained mental health responder quickly and easily from your phone.